North Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Christ Church was built from 1767 to 1773 by John Carlyle. The church was designed by James Wren in the colonial style.
Located in Old Town Alexandria it served as a place of worship for both George Washington and
Robert E. Lee. Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill visited the
church on January 1, 1942 to commemorate World Day of Prayer.
The church has been modified with stone quoins and window surrounds. The roof is a simple hipped structure
with a prominent tower that was added between 1785 and 1815, as well as upper level galleries in the interior.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970
Open: Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. -
4 p.m.; Sat. 9 - 12 p.m.; Sun. 2 - 4:30 p.m.
Metro: King Street